Friday, August 8, 2008

Octopussy !

One of the funniest things about working in a Management Consultancy is naming your clients and projects with Code Names. So last time when we worked on a assement for "XYZ Inc" my manager called it "Blue Bird". Now people who love to take a guess may link it to a Blue Chip Company, or the Big Blue IBM.... but yah ! here I am defeating all your wildest guesses. My manager, a heavy criminal creative mind, connects companies with his own vivid imagination and justifies all of us with some insane correlation.

As far as I am concerned, I never really understood him in all the 4 projects I worked for him. Some times, it makes me mad, trying to decipher. Once I thought I understood his thought pattern and then later challenged " Oh my mighty Manager.. give me the code name and I would get the client for you.... he smiled and pat came the reply, " ok ! Ryan.. this time my name for your assignment is " Octopussy".

I was thinking, what is this wierd name, why is he giving James Bond movies to our projects. I know we do confidential work for our clients, but still being Ian Fleming and find out" Ah ! ! !this guy is nuts.
I started on... saw the movie Octopussy twice, and trying to think the possible name.
Here was my thought process:
1. Octopussy came in the year 1983. Not much clue !
2. Its about disarmament where Russian general wanted to detonate a nuclear bomb in a US air base and thereby make aggressive expansion into the West germany teritory. Not much for me !

3. Movie was shot in India... , wait a min, my manager's name is "Ramanathan C D" (wonder what these long indian names, we call him RCD). ah ! the boy from india must be giving me a indian client name. Checked our database and saw whom all we did work for in India. Could not guess anything.
4. After gruelling hours over web I decided that RCD is not such a stupid to name a project after a movie, that too a popular one.
5. Then I scrambled the word, jumbled, found the meaning of it in Greek, German, Latin what all not.
6. I could not crack..... felt like giviing it up after a day.
A long overhaul of checks, Gosh I even kept a day's leave to justify my challenge. I was thinking, shucks, like a shameless ass I would surrender before him saying " Oh my mighty man ! I could not know what your Octopussy stands for". Had a good sleep, woke up in the morning, got ready for office, fed my cat with milk and the normal Friskies which it likes a lot. Took my coffe from Starbucks ! while walking on the way, I was still sad for my defeat, ....

On the way I felt the coffee was terribly bad, cursed Starbucks, and later relaized that the milk in my house was also bad wondering what my pussy cat wud have thought.
Hang on..!!! Pussy Cat??? I jumped into a Internet Cafe in the way. Started Googling.
Pussy- Oct- Pussy Cat- Oct... all searches going wild....
After a hour or so I landed on a movie :" What's New Pussycat?"... When did it release, Oct 8-1965. Ah ! ah ! Here I am....

Oh my Lord.... Oct- Released Pussy Cat: Octopussy. After all this Being content that this is the definitive solution. I then researched more on the movie. Read its plot, actors, production company. hmm then took the protatgonist name, just like i did for the Octopussy movie.
"Michael James"......
Ok so the company might be linked to Michael James... now what could it be, searched for all companies where Michael James is the CEO, Founder... yippe got it... " Ocean Tomo"

Ha ha ha ha ! ! ! I proudly walked to RCD, it didn't matter to me much that I was horribly late.
Knock ! Knock ! Hey RCD ! so when are starting with "Ocean Tomo" ...
RCD smiles, I thought he is happy with my search ! may be I shall become the lead this cycle... amidst all these thoughts I listen from him...
Hey Ryan " We already had a kick off meeting for Ocean Tomo yesterday with the Team, I hope Stephan must have updated you last nite about your travel to Spain this evening..."

Spain..Ocean tomo.. Kick off... but RC I am not prepared, moreover I .. ( thought there is no point telling him I found the name myself... he wud not beleive in any way)..

pause..pause... RCD yells ! why r u here " Get Busy ! ! !" I yell back " Yess Mighty Gladiator"...
I walked back sad to my desk... my colleagues inform me.. " We are getting late for a meeting, RCD called all of us to inform about the new assignment... "

Yeh Baby ! ! !

I walk into the meeting... Whilst RCD starts off... he gives me a glance and a smile.. "his smile seemed 1000 applauses for my finding"...
He starts.." Hiya team we need to start our work for Ocean Tomo... and our code name for this would be... Ryan ! would you mind reveal it...
I pause for a while... Mighty RC lets call it Octopussy !
All eyes on me... and I stand up.. hey team as you all know what RC says .." For your eyes only"

!!!! Yup that's me... Brauler ... Ryan Brauler

No comments: